Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Gassan Sadatoshi: Japanese Swordsmiths for 800 years.

I'm on a quest to find the family of the man who made my great grandfather's Samurai Sword.

A good first step is to find one of Japan's best swordsmiths... but that was not my plan.  Finding Gassan was a gift from my new friends in Asuka Village and Sakura City near Nara.

More about how this came to be... coming soon. 

I rushed back from my pilgrimage to Hiroshima to meet one of Japan's National Living Treasures:

I met Gassan Sadatoshi at his home and sword making studio in Sakura City, not far from Nara and discovered his philosophical world view:  "Swords are not for fighting."





Documentary
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gxwWf-MfZVk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>






No comments:

Post a Comment