Wednesday, July 22, 2020

#2 The Inca Walls of Macchu Picchu


Photo by Toby Manzanares


The Inca Wall: Engineering so precise
a sheet of paper cannot be wedged between Inca stones.














During the 1940's my grandfather Federico Manzanares built our Monte Vista Colorado home from stone quarried in the San Luis Valley. He cut those stones with such precision that when I visited Cusco and walked the Inca Wall, I immediately thought of my grandfather. Solid as the Inca Wall, our home stands in testimony of his engineering skills.


If Macchu Picchu is on your life list, then there is no one better that Rosa to guide that part of your journey. Tour companies will charge you over $5,000 for six days, but contact her directly for this adventure.... here is her email address:  COMING SOON

Rosa Alegria Gonzales, my extraordinary Quechua speaking guide told me of the best place to observe the great Andean condors: Colca Canyon (see the map below.)



In the 7th grade, when I logged Macchu Picchu into by Life List, I did not know about the condors of Colca Canyon. Now I see Colca as a must for anyone's Life List. See the trailer below.

The Great Condors of Colca Canyon
 
 
We awakened early, took a quick breakfast and left immediately to arrive at the rim of Colca Canyon by sunrise.  As the sun warmed the canyon, condors deep down in the canyon were soon circling on the up drafting air. As the seconds slipped by, their orbital path brought them up to eye level. Then the unexpected magic happened, a circling Andean condor flew just inches over my head, I could hear the air sliding off it's wings. It was very much worth arriving before sunrise. I'd do it again in a New York millisecond.



While in Peru, I learned that over 500 Species of Potato grow in Andean microbiomes.  
 
 
In terms of world history I learned that Simón Bolivar came very close to creating the United States of South America, seeking independence from Spain. He was highly regarded by our guides while visiting Bolivia. He would have been regarded on a level higher than George Washington. Bolivar is one of the very few people ever to have a country named after them.

No comments:

Post a Comment